Thursday 16 April 2009

Phool Vatti in India

Namaste ji!
I am back from 10 days spent in the village of Basra, in Haryana, just 2 km from Rajasthan in Northwest India.









Views of the fields and village
















I had a fantastic time
. I was staying in the house of the family of Pawan, who was our local contact and guide in the village - and sometimes interpreter when it was too difficult for Kaifi, my interpreter, to understand bagri (local dialect of Rajasthani).
From left to right: Kaifi, Pawan, Vinod, Pawan's uncle, and Pawan's mother in the fields





I learnt how to cook roti (a kind of round flat bread) with Bhabbi, Pawan's sister-in-law. She was very patient with me, never complaining about the strange shapes of my rotis...

Bhabbi prepared some scrumptious special dishes when I was here: halwa, khir and bajra roti (roti made from pearl millet flour)...




There was also Mukesh, who was living next door and was teaching me Hindi with a children's book. The word to learn the vowel U was Ullu (an owl). If one day you go to India and want to make people laugh, say Ullu for a try... or is it just me who has a funny face when I say Ullu?? Anyway, Ullu quickly became my favorite hindi word...







Mukesh also taught me a Hindi song (fortunately, the lyrics did not mention any owl). There were also some great inter-musical exchanges with Nirmala, Pawan's niece. I learnt a Rajasthani song. And Nirmala now can sing "Frere Jacques"...




(drawing from Uderzo)

After work, we had a lot of fun in the fields:


Our favourite game... 1,2,3...run!



I did the same game on the back of a camel










Last day, after a big meal in the house of Rajkumar, our sympathic local driver, we went altogether for a trip to Agroha Dham, one of the largest temple I ever visited. In this temple, you can drop a coin to animate some singing deities (a bit like in the Galeries Lafayettes/Fenwick during Christmas), get lost and scare your friends in an artificial cave of several floors, it is much more fun than to visit a church...


Going to the temple...
From left to right: Nirmala, me, Kaifi, Radj Kumar, our taxi driver, and Surender, a friend of Pawan


Next episode to come soon!

In the meantime, visit Agroha Dham temple: http://www.agroha.com/temple.html

And prepare Indian dishes at home:
Halwa: http://www.indianetzone.com/2/sweet_halwa.htm,
khir: http://www.koausa.org/Cookbook/165.html
Bajra roti: http://www.tarladalal.com/recipe.asp?id=3892

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great Floriane! It´s great to know about you, I hope you´re having a nice time (I think you are hhehe)
Lots of love!
Isa

Floriane said...

Hola Isa!
que bueno de leerte, si lo paso muy bien en el pueblo. Cuando vienes a visitarme?! Un beso grande

Anonymous said...

Hi Floriane,
You look very nice as an Indian girl... And we can see you appreciate a lot local traditions. Take care. Kisses
Martine

Floriane said...

Merci Martine, je te raconterai tout ca lors de mon prochain passage a Paris (debut juillet)!
Grosses bises
Floriane